The STANDARD PLANTS were founded 1903 and produced cars from the beginning, first with 1 cylinder engines, but already after only 3 years the first 6 cylinder left the production line. A trader, called Friswell purchased the whole production from the factory at the Crystal Palace Motor Show 1905, few years later he became the CEO of the Standard board. 1911 he provided 70 cars at a magnificient, royal ceremony in India which turned out being a worthy, priceless promotion.
1912 Friswell sold his shares to Siegfried Bettmann from Triumph, which just only built Motorcycles then, which explains the latter contacts between these two companies and lastly the takeover by Standard. During the 1st World War Standard built the Sopwith Camel Doubledecker Fighter, the Factory site in Canley was opened 1916 and should have become the central Auto plant. 1919 the civil production began and 1924 already 1924 10000 units left the conveyor belt.
The world economy crisis also began to make troubles to Standard, bigger car models didn't sale well as 1929 Sir John Black entered the board and he braught new ideas with him, chassis were built for extern, small companies like Swallow Coach builders (later Jaguar) or for Jensen
Years past, 1927 a Mini Rolls Royce - the Selby Tourer and 1939 - Standard built bigger cars again up to the "Flying Ten V8", a side valve 20hp sedan which went up to 137 Km and then the Standard 9, 10, and 12.
The 2nd World War braught a further interruption again, instead of "Flying" Tens, Standard built real Airoplanes like the famous Mosquito Bomber or Beaufighter or the Mercury engines, beside lightweight armoured vehicles and an English Jeep Version.
1939 the Triumph Company was almost insolvent, awaiting the takeover by Standard, but the Triumph Plants were completely destroyed by a German Air Raid 1940. A few months before the War ended, the Standard Company finalised the deal and swallowed Triumph.
Now the new Company was called "Standard-Triumph Comp.", but until the beginning 60ties, Standard vanished from the badges and only the Triumph Marque appeared, Only on Documents and on the spare parts one could find the Standard logo.(Stanpart)
Shortly the Pre War Models Standard 8,9 and 12 were built agin, but hey were already outdated and looked atiquated, therefore 1947 the new designed Vanguard models appeared, rounder and more compact. and lower, built in several "Phases", Phase 1-3, from the last one there were different models like Ensign, Vignale, or Vabguard 6.
Standard Ten and Pennant were low priced and were the predecessor of the Herald, as the Herald was introduced - bothe marques were melted together and henceforth only called Triumph.
1948 with the beginning of the independance of India from the Empire, many technologies were transferred to India as some economic aid
Standard built plants in Madras, which partly operated independantly from its parent- the Standard of India, were those cars were built further
on, Most vehicles had been adopted for the Indian Roads, which made them look somehow a little funny.
In England the last SD1s left the factories whilst in India a model appeared called Standard 2000, which didn't have the New Triumh or Rover V8 engines, Standard India only used the old, outdated 85 hp 2000 engine which made the whole project even fail in India. Despite of this, even today there are still old Standards in use, whose predecessors had been built in England.
A few years ago, there had been a lot of original factory made parts - mostly panels, which had been stored for over 2 deades, had been reimported to England by The RimmerBros who are able to provide the SD1 Owners with valuable, unused spare parts
Roy P. Carvana